"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Snipping Tool

For today's assignment, we were giving the task of learning how to use the Snipping Tool which is a tool for Windows Vista.  The Snipping Tool is a relatively easy way to capture, or snip, a screen shot so that it can be used somewhere else.  I had never heard of a Snipping Tool.  I soon came to realize that it is very similar to copy and paste, only better. 

To locate the Snipping Tool, I conducted a program search using the Quick Launch Tool Bar. I clicked the "start" button and typed in snipping tool.

An icon for the Snipping Tool was then placed in my Quick Launch Tool Bar and ready to be used.  One problem that I encountered was the task of saving the Snipping Tool to my desktop (which was part of the assignment).  While in my desktop, I  right mouse clicked, then clicked new, and then shorcut (which is what it says in the directions).  This is where I had my difficulty.  According to the directions, I should have been able to navigate to the program that needed the shortcut.  However, I kept getting the following screen and was unable to fugure out the process successfully.




Although I was unable to save the Snipping Tool shortcut to my desktop, I realized that the tool was extremely easy to use straight from the Quick Launch Tool Bar, which is how I used the tool.   We ARE treachers afterall, we adapt.

The ISTE NETS T standard which best relates to this assignment is number two:  Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments.   This is a perfect example of being able to incorporate a digital tool to promote student learning.  At our school, we use IXL, which is a great websiste that allows students to receive extra practice on previously taught skills.  I teach second grade and have found that trying to get twenty-four students logged onto a website is a nightmare.  With the use of this tool, teachers could snip full-screens with detailed instructions to aid in the processs.



No comments:

Post a Comment