"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Jing Graphic

Today's assignment was to create a graphic, using Jing, that could be used to introduce and/or teach a skill or concept.  Jing is a digital tool that allows individuals to capture and share anything that is seen on the computer screen, virtually immediately, with a friend.  Simply capture the screen, or a section of the screen, and Jing saves a link to your clipboard.  Paste that link into your chat and share.  The sky is the limit.  The great thing about Jing is that once screens are captured,  they can be edited to aid in teaching a concept or simply pointing out pertinent information.  The different tools available include:  text tool, shape tool, and arrow/line tools.  

Saved Jing files are PNG Files.  These files can be saved on the Jing clipboard or on your desktop.  They can be stored in the Jing History, which can be accessed by clicking the history on the yellow Jing icon (placed in the upper, center of the screen).  My graphic was retrieved from my desktop and added to my Blog. To link the graphic to a screencast, simlpy click the share via screencast box.

My graphic was ceated to aid in teaching the different parts of a friendly letter.  Creating the graphic was time consuming, but only because of user error.  My sample of a friendly letter was created at a website called abcYA.  This site allows you to type the information for your letter and is then created in the letter format.  I then captured the letter, using Jing, and used the text, shape, and arrow/line tools to identify the different parts.   I then saved the graphic to my Jing History, retrieved it, and saved it to my desktop.  I then inserted it into my blog.  I DID learn that (even when Windows stops working) drafts are saved and not lost.  And... I only had a small "freak-out."

The ISTE NETS T that relates to this assignment is number two.  It shows that I can design or adapt learning experiences using digital tools.  Jing is a great tool to have!!

No comments:

Post a Comment