"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Jing Screencast

Today's assignment was to create a Jing Screencast that can be used to teach and/or display how to do something on the computer.  I chose to demonstrate how to log into IXL.  I teach second grade and we use this site to practice learned math skills.  It has always been a nightmare to talk the class through how to log in.  They always seem to ask the same quesiton, "where do I type that?"  This is a great way to show them exactly where items need to be typed.

First click the capture prong on the Jing "sun" icon and drag the cross hair to the size that fits your need.  In this case I chose a full-screen because I needed to show the address bar and be able to scroll down.  The first several takes did not show enough screen to ensure that students could see all that needed to be seen.  Click the video button and a count down will let you know when to begin.  A Jing video is automatically assigned a URL, and saved to your clipboard (that can be sent to a Screen cast location), and in your Jing history as a PNG file.  Once in your history, open the video and use the drop down box to save to your preferred location: pictures, desktop, or even a flash drive. 

This assignment was brutally challenging for me.  I must have recorded twenty takes: I didn't like my voice, I stuttered, and I got toungue tied, just to name a few problems.  I fianlly finished it to the product that I refer to "as good as it's going to get."  I learned that I could save it to my flash drive (which made me very happy) because it has become my life-line.  I never leave for school without it.

The ISTE NETS T standards that best relate to this assignment are two and three.  I was able to design and demonstrate fluency in technology systems, communicate relevant information to students, and model the use of digital technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment