"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Introduction

I am a graduate student who lives around the Clarksburg, West Virginia area and I teach Second Grade at West Milford Elementary School.  With the recent push to integrate technology into the classroom, I am hoping that EDUC 6809 will help to get my creative juices flowing.  The problem is, when it comes to technology, I'm fresh out of ideas.  As a non-traditional student, I grew up in an age with minimal technology.  I actually took a typing class on a type writer.  My first experience with a computer was when I was a Junior in high school.  And again it was minimal when it comes to computer technology.  My hope is to be able to help lead my students into the media age.  I just need a little help.

What is literacy?  Wow.  To me, literacy has several components.  First, it is the ability to decode, blend, and finally read and interact with a written text to construct meaning.  Then it is the ability to organize thoughts, use learned skills and write a coherent piece for others to read.  In the scenario, there is a level of communication between the reader and writer. As we move into the 21st Century, literacy may take on another meaning altogether.  In "A New Literacy: Making Connections in Electronic Environments," we may get a vision of what that new meaning may look like.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your definition of literacy included more than encoding and decoding print-based text. From a "new literacies" perspective, literacy is the ability to use all kinds of texts and technologies to accomplish one's purpose in the world. Great video! I share the perspective presented in the video and work do debunk many of the myths presented! I'm excited you are challenging yourself to learn new ways to integrate technology into your teaching! I think there are many applications that will thrill second graders and motivate them to read and write in ways that will benefit them throughout their academic careers (including the WESTTEST). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had typing in 7th grade, on a manual! and did not use a computer until I was 23! The first computer my mother & I purchased jointly did not have a hard drive, used 5 1/4" floppy disks, and the internet did not exist for the "real" world. Although there was this thing called "bulletin boards" where you could log in and talk to other people in the same town AND play tetris! Now that was cool!

    Ironically enough in 1984, shortly after graduting from HS I was working in Washington DC at Printing Industries of America. A group of "geeks" were working on a new technology called hypertext markup language and a very revolutionary NEW concept called ..... barcoding! It was only many years laters I was updating the HTML code on a webpage that it struck me, I WAS THERE in the beginning all those years ago!

    ReplyDelete