"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Textual Lineage #1

Thursday, May 24, 2012




"As High as the Cooing Dove"  by Matthew Epperly

No one on earth can fly, as high as the cooing dove,
Next to the blazing sun, close to the ones you love.

The bright sky above, the earth is its foe,
Blue all alighting, green down below.

Its wings are glowing, from the heavenly light,
Flying next the sun, although it is fiery and bright.

Slowly it falls, it slowly descends, 
Here our flight, so mournfully ends.


When I was in undergraduate school, I had was studying poetry in my Literature class.  My son, who was in fifth grade at the time, was sitting at the table with me while I was working, and he was asking me questions about what I was doing.  Some time passed when he asked if he could please use my laptop.  He carried it over to the sofa and began working quietly.  He asked me how to spell alighting and mournfully.  My curiosity peeked and I asked him what he was doing, and he nonchalantly told me that he was writing a poem, and proceeded to tell me that I couldn't read it until it was finished. 

When I finally got to read the finished product, I was amazed at what I read.  To me, it was the most beautiful piece of writing that I had ever read.  We printed it off and sent a copy to his grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, and uncles.  His great-grandfather agreed that it was a piece of art, framed it, and hung it on his wall.  He passed away on May 22, 2009 and the poem was read during his funeral service.  I will never forget it, and neither will my Matt.  




13 comments:

  1. It really is a beautiful poem! I'm amazed your son was only a fifth grader when he wrote it! Thank-you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. Sometimes I look at my four year old and the things he creates are just amazing to me because he did it at his age. This shows that he will keep me amazed for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem! He should have it published, if it's not already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entered it in a contest, but sadly it didn't win. Now that he is 17, he has mentioned publishing it. I'm not sure how to go about it.

      Delete
    2. There are several online literary journals including http://www.stilljournal.net/

      Delete
  4. Very touching, and an extremely powerful message delivered by a 5th grader! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This definetly a powerful message. It almost made me cry. So beautiful. You are truely blessed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that he continues with his writing for expression. This just goes to show that "out of the mouths of babes...."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed and delighted. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It truly is awesome what some kids can do. I teach a variety of grades and they amaze with their abilities everyday. His poem is beautiful, hope he still continues to write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very beautiful poem! This peom has such deep meaning and provides such a comfort to the ones that read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an inspiring and comforting poem.

    ReplyDelete