"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Textual Lineage #3

Friday, May 25, 2012


Song: Star Spangle Banner written by Francis Scott Key

"Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

I have heard this song hundreds, if not thousands, of times during my lifetime, and this line still evokes such emotion.  My grandfather and husband are both veterans for United States military.  My husband was activated during Desert Storm three days before our one year anniversary and was gone for a year.  I always think of what our troops have done, and continue to do, for our country every time I hear this song. 



11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank-you for the sacrifices you have made as a military family. I'm always moved by this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posting to celebrate this Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this on Memorial Day.. and remembering all family members, friends, and the "unknown" that serve our country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 3 powerful messages in a row. Thank you for your sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this special piece of music. Today as we observe Memorial Day I am reminded that we are truly the land of the free and home of the brave because of those who served. God bless your husband and all those who have served!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great reminder of why this song should be respected. It drives me crazy when people do not respect this song and the people it stands for. Our country couldn't be what it is today without veterans and current active military.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching the video with the fly over makes me want to cry. Thank you and your family for their service to our beautiful country! This is a great song and it has such great meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to your husband and grandfather for their service to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the perfect song for our national anthem. It can have many different meanings for each individual.

    ReplyDelete