"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Textual Lineage #2

Thursday, May 24, 2012















"Some people try to hide the fact
that children shelter there;
Ours boasts it quite openly...
the signs are everywhere,
For smears are on the windows,
little smudges on the door;
I should apologize I guess,
for toys strewn on the floor,
But I sat down and with the children
and played, laughed and read,
And if the doorbell doesn't shine,
their eyes will shine instead,
For when I'm forced to choose
the one job or the other,
It's good to be a housewife
but I'd rather be a mother."


This poem kept me grounded as a stay home mom.  All the days when I would get discourage about a somewhat messy house, I just read this.

10 comments:

  1. The home is one place that children should be able to play and be themselves, and they are only young once. Good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's important to spend time with your children and not worry so much about the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a stay at home Mom and it was so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should share this with my daughter. She struggles with working outside the home two days a week and caring for her two small sons. She loves to play with her boys, oh wait, I should share this with my mother! Maybe it will help HER understand! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother is definitely a mother not a housewife, she is proud of this job and has put her entire life to being the best she can. What a wonderful tribute to mothers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sure helps a mother put things into perspective. Spending time with our children is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe all stay at home moms should live by this. What they do is remarkable!

    ReplyDelete