"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Weekly Reading 8

1.  What impressed you most about young people's engagement with creative productions?  What impresses me the most is that they just seem to inherently know how to do it already.  I was talking to my friend the other day and her second grader came running into the room.  He was very excited and kept repeating, "they want me to save and share with everybody".  She was a bit concerned so we went to see what he was talking about.  He had actually made a comic strip using Cartoon Network and it was ready to be shared, and it was awesome.  He said that nobody had taught him, he just knew.  It's just like Inertia in our text book (Page 253).  He made  films and just seemed to learn to edit.

2.  What concerns do have about young people posting content online?  My biggest concern today is that they will post something that is inappropriate or do/say something that is considered to be cyber-bullying.  I am constantly hearing about teens being involved in cyber-bullying.  Teens often do not realize that things they do as a teen can have negative affects on them later in life.

3.  Do you think that most school policy toward student use of the Internet is reactionary or a necessary evil?  Unfortunately, I think that school policy toward Internet use is a necessary evil.  With that being said, I think that many of the policies in place are over the top and that there are too many restrictions.  There have been numerous times when I have tried to use something that I created or learned in one of my classes and can't get there because of all of the restrictions.  Its very frustrating.  On the other hand, the school is responsible for the students and should protect them from certain content.  When my son and I were working on his 4th grade WV book (at home), there were certain requirements of Washington D.C.that needed to be included.  We conducted a Google search for the Whitehouse.  Let me tell you, the difference that .com and .org make is substantial.   It would have been nice to have had a few restrictions.

4.  How might teachers' capitalize on student's interest in creative production with digital media?  First, I think that teachers need to be actively involved with keeping up with the creative production media that's available to our youth (I have lots of homework to do to get there, and even more to stay there).  Lessons and activities need to utilize these technologies.  Teachers need to create more open-ended, student centered projects that allow students to truly show off their talents with technology.   


5.  Link to an online lesson plan, article, blog post video or podcast that is an example of student engagement in creative production with digital media for school related purposes?

I found this video and think it is interesting.  Let me know what you think?



1 comment:

  1. Great story about your friends' second grade son! I agree with your concerns about cyber-bulling and inappropriate media circulation on the Internet. However I think that these are great learning opportunities for students and educators need to be prepared to help student critical examine their media productions to become more responsible media producers! I'm not sure if limiting access is they way to go.

    ReplyDelete