"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Excel ToolPak

The current assignment is to install the Excel ToolPack for data analysis using Excel.  I went to the course activity list and clicked on the link for the assignment and then clicked on "Install the data analysis tool pack."  I opened Excel and clicked on Add-Ins under the tool menu.  I then clicked on the Add-Ins available and checked the Analysis ToolPak and the Anaysis ToolPak - VBA and clicked ok.  I clicked "Yes Install" and was instructed to insert my Office XP Professional.  I did so and clicked ok.  This is where it went bad.  It could not find the information needed to add the ToolPak.  I repeated the process with the same result about a dozen times.  I then uninstalled my Office program and reinstalled with the hope that it would work.  Still, no luck.  I googled a "how to" for adding the ToolPak, but did not get any new information.  So... I'm still trying to figure it out.  I even stayed late at work hoping I could complete the assignment there.  The problem with that is that I do not have the priviledge of changing or adding to programs. 

The next part of the assignment was to read "The Rant."  I found it interesting.  I agree that teachers need to be assessing students to improve their performance.  I think that making mistakes help us to grow as individuals.  If we never make mistakes, we never learn.  That being said, I think it's all too easy to keep using the same assessments and not really use the data in an effective way.   I never thought about the fact that most of the educators in this area are from the same institution and have learned the same techniques.  How do we break the cycle?  It's a tough spot to be in. 

This assignment relates to ISTE NETS T standard number three.  Using Excel to analyze data is a great example of a digital tool to support research and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment