"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller

My photo
I am a wife of 21 years (almost 22) to Don, and we have two sons and one cocker spaniel (Daisy). Dylan is 19 years old and attends WVU in pursuit of a Chemical Engineering Degree. Matthew is a Junior at BHS, plays ice hockey constantly and has big dreams of becoming a doctor someday. My greatest joy is spending time with them all, which this class is really putting a damper on.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Hypothesis Testing

This assignment was to use data given by Dr. Pierce to test for statistical significance using different variables.  This was an extension of the last assignment in which I had to come up with a hypothesis and a null hypothesis using the data given.  For this assignment I used a T-Test to compare different groups (or variables).

The first test that I conducted included age.  Since age in a continuous variable, as opposed to discrete, the mean of 32 was the cut-off to create 2 groups.  I first sorted the data by "age" and labeled 32 and above as "Age High" and 30 and below as "Age Low."  I then used the two groups to determine if age had any statistical significance on quiz scores, discussion posts and Millineal score.  To conduct the test, I clicked on tools then Data Analysis.  From there, I chose "t-Test: 2 Sample Assuming Equal Variances" and entered the the appropriate information by highlighting for score, then discussion posts, and finally Millenial Score.    I then repeated the tests sorting by gender, teaching, and browser.  My tests are as follows:


        
 



The statistical significance is shown with an asteric with a P value less than .05.

For the last assignment my questions are as follows:

Question 1
  • Dependent variable - Age
  • Independent variable - Quiz score
What is the relationship between non-traditional students (35 and above) and quiz scores?
  • Hypothesis - Non-traditional students (age 32 and above) score higher scores on quizzes.
  • Null Hypothesis - Age has no effect on quiz scores.
 Question 2
  •  Dependent variable - gender
  • Independent variable - Millenial score
What is the relationship between gender and Millenial score?
  • Hypothesis - Females have a higher Millenial score.
  • Null hypothesis - Gender has no effect on Millenial scores.
My t -Test results show no significance between higher age and quiz scores and females and higher Millineal Scores.

The ISTE NETS T standard that relates to this assignment is number three.  Teachers should be able to create and/or conduct research and analyze data for the betterment of students.

No comments:

Post a Comment